Monday, June 10, 2013
Behind The Candelabra: Flamboyance at its Finest
The film was indeed 'Too Gay' but who cares when it's two Academy Award Winning Actors doing one another.
The film is based on Scott Thorson's book "Behind the Candelabra: My Life with Liberace". It premiered during the 2013 Cannes Film Festival and was later aired at HBO. Before I further continue babbling about the movie, let me tell you first a brief background of who Liberace is. Liberace was an American pianist who was very known for his flamboyance on stage. During his time, there were rumors that he was gay but he would sue anyone who dared to say so. Later in his life, the same period where the movie focused on, he had a secret affair with a much younger man named Scott Thorson and that's where the story of the film begins. The love between them started off fantastic and wild but as it reached its highest peak, it had nowhere else to go but down. In this film you will witness one hell of a ride (no pun intended) between two gay men and the struggles they had to face in life.
Michael Douglas plays the role of the fabulous pianist Liberace while Matt Damon plays the young lover Scott Thorson. As expected from Academy Award winners, their acting is superb! Douglas' performance and portrayal of Liberace was splendid and spectacular. He wore those Liberace inspired costumes like he wears them everyday. Douglas versatility in acting really deserves a huge round of applause. Not only does he portray a gay character but he was able to make it real. He was successful in introducing who Liberace was to people who did not know him. I may have not seen Liberace before he died but with Douglas' performance, I'm pretty sure I get a clear picture of what the Vegas pianist was like. Of course, Matt Damon does not fall far behind. His portrayal of the young man who fell in love with Liberace was worth praising well. I love how he can show such great deal of emotion even without saying anything. In the latter part of the film, he's usually angry and he doesn't have to tell you that he is, you just know judging from his face and acting. Hands down, these two actors was a key in making this film a success. There were no inhibitions especially to the numerous sex and kissing scenes they shared. As a viewer, you can feel what's going on between them. You may not be a fan of two guys going at each other but their love is no different from that of straight couples. I think. If there's anything I learned about Liberace in the film is that he's a weird lover. So I can't really say.
The story is pretty much great on its own I think especially if its based on real events. What it really needed in order for it to work was a great director and great actors, which it did have. The progression of the story was really good and it made me want to watch it more. There were no dull moments and every scene and shot has its own significance to the movie. The climax was intense (no pun intended...again) as we see a reversal of situation for the characters. As much as I wanna say more I'd be spoiling it already but one thing is clear, it shows that you have to fight for what you want to keep but without losing yourself in the process.
The 'too gay' quote earlier was based on the reaction of Hollywood studios when Director Steven Sodenbergh was asking for financial support in order to finish the film. Thank goodness that HBO was open about it and funded the film. Sodenbergh really did a good job in his supposedly last film before his hiatus. That's one way to exit Hollywood even for just a while. Great direction, cinematography, and editing. I love the shots whenever Scott is drunk and high. The camera is shaky and everything is blurred aside from what Scott can clearly see. There was also a plastic surgery scene which I did not need to see at all. The set design was also magnificent. It really gives off the 80s vibe and not to mention the musical score by Marvin Hamlisch was wonderful and well fitting into the movie. Sadly, the poor fellow died on August last year.
Basically, Behind The Candelabra is worth watching if you're not really the homophobic type of person. If you appreciate good acting, great characterization, grand set design and Matt Damon's bare butt then this is the movie for you.
Rating: 4/5
No comments:
Post a Comment