Monday, July 8, 2013

Monsters University (2013)


Needs more schooling.

Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan are the best of friends and partners for life. But of course that wasn't always the case. Flashback to when they were younger, college to be exact. When Mike and Sulley first saw each other, the only mutual understanding between them is to hate one another. Hence, their college life began. Flash further back, it focuses on Mike and how he always wanted to be the best scarer ever. Things don't go smoothly for him in Monsters University as he has to prove himself to everyone that he is capable of being a scarer.

There was so much excitement the moment this movie was first announced. The 2001 film Monsters Inc. Is one of Pixar's most prized jewels and I bet they thought that an additional jewel wouldn't hurt. Well... let's just say it stumbled a lot and got a few bruises on the way. However, I would choose Monsters University any day compared to the last film Pixar released which is the 2012 film Brave. Ironically enough, both films currently have a 78% rating in Rotten Tomatoes.

When Pixar officially announced Monsters University, I figured it carried two burdens on its shoulders. The first one would have to be its audience. Yes, this is an animated film intended to be watched by children. How about the children at heart though? One particular sector in the demographics that will absolutely be watching Monsters Univ. are the young adults or specifically college students. The children who watched Monsters Inc. back in 2001 will surely not miss out on a prequel of a movie that was part of their childhood. So pleasing the children and the young adults is a difficult task that Pixar definitely must have considered. The second burden that I thought of primarily concerns the plot itself. In the trailers, it is established that Mike and Sulley were not on good terms before they became the best of friends. Thing is, even before watching this movie, majority, if not all, of the entire human population might have watched Monsters Inc. already and know that they are friends. So the question that a viewer has on his mind when about the watch the film is that "How are you gonna tell the story and how are you gonna make me stay and watch?" Because technically speaking, the entire movie is spoiled to us already because of the first film. The latter of the problems I mentioned should have been carefully thought of because as I was watching the movie, I found myself checking for the time. Definitely not a good sign when you're watching a movie.

So was it a bad film? No it wasn't but Pixar could have definitely have done better. I appreciate how the movie makes the viewers, especially the old ones, nauseous of the first film and makes them go "Oh look! It's..." during the movie. I also like how they put certain twists and unexpected situations that negates the first film but explains it in the latter part of the film. It offers great historical background on the characters of Mike and Sulley. You get to know more about the two of them and why they act like they do in Monsters Inc. 

Moreover, certain themes and subject are also present in the movie such as the idea of false hope versus chasing your dreams despite all odds. Would you fight and pursue or give up and find something better? This is probably one of those rare films that tell you to give up something which you're not good at. Majority of the films keep on telling you to just keep on believing in yourself no matter what the people around you say. Idealism vs. Realism.

One of the things I look for in animated films is the character development. There must always be a character development or else there would not be an emotional hook to the audience. Monsters University manages to execute great character development not only in the two protagonists but also in the supporting characters. It deserves a round of applause since it's quite rare for the supporting characters to also undergo development. Now with regards to the emotional hook I mentioned, I find it weird that despite the character development in the film, it lacked the emotional drive present in the previous works of Pixar. It didn't have a single scene where it made me go "Awwwwwwww..." (hope you read this the way I wanted it to sound)

In conclusion, the movie despite some shortcomings is still great and manages to bring out laughs and enjoyment from the audience. Just needed a better way to keep the viewers interested not only in certain parts of the film but as a whole.

Rating: 3/5

P.S.

Before Monsters University started, a Pixar short "The Blue Umbrella" was really cute and entertaining. As a matter of fact, 6 minutes of it gave me more feels than the movie I came for.

No comments:

Post a Comment