Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Kick-Ass 2 (2013)

You call that a kick? What an ass!

After the events of the first film, Dave Lizewski is apparently done being Kick-Ass and is living the normal life. Ironically, the world outside his bedroom has been so inspired by Kick-Ass that some normal citizens are now living their lives as superheroes. Meanwhile, Mindy Macready, Hitgirl, is still pursues crime fighting behind the back of her guardian Marcus. Dave approaches Mindy so that she can train him and proposes that they become a team. Reluctant at first, Mindy agrees to train Dave to become a better superhero. Eventually, Marcus finds out what Mindy's been up to and makes her promise to be a normal girl, to which she reluctantly agrees again. Dave now finds himself a member of a new team of superheroes he has inspired. Together, they fight crime and do charity in the idea of making the world a better place. On the other hand, Chris D'Amico, the son of Frank D'Amico, whom Kick-Ass killed in the previous film, is plotting his revenge on Kick-Ass and all his loves ones. 

One reason why this sequel didn't work is because it downgrades a lot of aspects that made the first film awesome and its upgrades which are supposed to be an asset to the film turns out to be a liability. 

What made the first film memorable and worthy of its name is the violence and cool action sequences it had. Sadly, this sequel is not able to live up to its predecessor's promise. Not only is the film less violent, it is also less funny and entertaining. The jokes are half-baked and the punchlines won't even hit you hard. With regards to the less violence, I'm not saying I'm a sadist or that I promote violence, but if I'm not mistaken, what made the comic book (yes, it's a comic book adaptation) so unique and unlike any others is the fact that it is realistic. The characters are normal people who decide to don the cape and mask and be vigilante heroes or villains out to save or destroy the city. The comic book tries to be realistic as possible and it can and will kill the hero if it has to, just to make it real. Now that I mentioned realistic, what can be more realistic than violent people out in the streets fighting one another. Just to be clear, I'm not a sadist, I'm just someone who's looking for the real essence that the comic book wanted to show. 

One thing I like from this movie is that they added more characters. It brings more joy and happiness to a geek's heart and soul. A whole new set of heroes and villains. Sadly, this is the upgrade I'm talking about that eventually becomes a liability. It became a liability and a burden to the film's character development area. So many characters and not enough time to give each and one of them the spotlight they deserve. There were so many things going on from one scene to another and you can barely keep track of who the protagonist is in contact with. In one scene, Hit-Girl is in high school and is stuck in a Mean Girls predicament, then the next scene would be with Kick-Ass in his own type of Justice League, and then we have The Motherfucker who is forming his own group of villains as well. Imagining these scenes seems so exciting but the film's execution of it is mediocre. Every scene is seems to be so focused on the main protagonist and antagonist that the other characters around him/her is overshadowed. An example would be of Mindy/Hit-Girl's high school life. She may be a complete bad-ass outside school but inside it, she finds herself dominated by the people around her. The question here is Why? Who are these people she meets in school that can intimidate her. Then again, she is in high school where everyone is evil, so I guess I can let that go. So on to another example, when Kick-Ass joins the hero group Justice Forever. It is in this part where the characterization drops miserably. For all we know Kick-Ass is the hero in the entire series but the moment we are introduced to the other heroes, we see that it is not all about him after all. But due to the poor characterization, you would feel no sympathy to the other heroes. You're just gonna be like, "Who are you? Where's Kick-Ass?" or "The hero-chick Kick-Ass is sleeping with is hot." Such a pity since those characters could have been utilized more for the film. One character I like from the Justice Forever is Colonel Stars and Stripes (Jim Carrey). He's an eccentric and extraordinary character that rises above the rest. It took me quite a while to appreciate him though since I thought of him as weird throughout the film until his demise. For the villain's side, I was sad since the film didn't really dwell much into the character of Mother Russia. All it wanted to show was that she was freakishly strong and freakishly huge. Javier, who became The Motherfucker's guardian, was supposed to add depth in The Motherfucker's character but it ended up being mediocre. I could go on about how the film lacks in the character development field but I would be digressing already and I'm sure you get the idea. 
However, I did like some of the technical things like the editing and the action choreography. I really like the scene where Hit-Girl used her adrenaline to defeat Mother Russia. It was like watching a video game and it was cool. Though I have mentioned that the jokes are not even funny, it can make you smile once in a while but that's the best it can do, at least for me. I personally like the arc of Hit-Girl in high school. We see a whole new side to her and it's more exciting, not knowing how she will handle her problems through normal means. Her story is more exciting than that of Kick-Ass to be honest. 


Hopefully, the sequel would do better and close the series in a good note.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment