Friday, November 9, 2012

Movie Review: Skyfall & Wreck-It-Ralph






 The name's Bond... James Bond



 "Probably the best Bond film yet..."

I just went to the cinemas earlier today and watched Skyfall, and may I just say that I completely love it. The James Bond franchise celebrates its 50th anniversary this year and the film Skyfall is a great gift to all James Bond fans out there.

What I loved about Skyfall is that first of all it's not your typical James Bond movie that people have been seeing for the last 50 years. This time, the movie focused on James Bond's past, his relationship with M and how he grows and develops in the entire duration of the film.


 If I were to ask you "what comes into your mind when you hear James Bond?" You would probably say: "action, women, sex, cars, gadgets" don't get me wrong, Skyfall has all that but the movie took on a more classical approach. It's like a classic film meant to be watched in 2012. The story was well thought of, it had an emotional-undertone to it, then development of the character was given importance, the action scenes were thrilling, the editing and cinematography (especially the last part) was superb.Not to mention the actors, Daniel Craig really fits the James Bond character so well. Only with the span of three films, he made James Bond come to life and made a name for himself as well.

"It's like a classic film meant to be watched in 2012."
What's been always difficult for action movies is that sometimes, the story gets left behind and is overshadowed by the action sequence. But this is definitely not the case for Skyfall. The action scenes had good harmony with the story and none of them overshadowed one another. Another thing I liked in this film is the locations where they shot the movie. One was in Turkey, another was in Shanghai, next was Macau, and the last one was Scotland. Each location had different vibes into it. I liked Shanghai and Macau the most. The film showed how beautiful the two cities are in the night. I also have to give a thumbs-up to Adel for singing the theme song of the movie. It's really good. :)

I'd give Skyfall a rate of 9 out of 10. I really liked it and it's probably the best Bond film yet in my opinion. :) I've been a fan of the franchise since Pierce Brosnan and thanks to HBO last time, I was able to watch some of the older films. :)




                                      "I'm Gonna..."

"I'm bad, and that's good, and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me"- Wreck-It-Ralph



Another awesome film from Disney. The movie revolves around the life of a "not-so-bad" bad guy of an arcade game. Sick and tired of being bad and always the loser, he goes against the rules and finds himself and his purpose in the process.

This is one great family film and even before the start of the movie, Disney presented a short film entitled Paperman which was quite entertaining as well. The movie Wreck-It-Ralph would definitely bring nostalgia especially to the 90's kid because it surely did bring me one. Seeing those old video game characters all in one movie made me realize how old I am already. So yes, the setting for the movie really worked out well and it's sure to bring lots of audience from different age groups.

The voice actors did a good job in this film.I have to say my favorite is Jane Lynch giving life to Sergeant Tamora Jean Calhoun, a badass female soldier with an attitude. Of course Ralph also had a great voice actor thanks to John C. Reilly. What I really appreciate in this film is that with the presence of various video games, the voice must be well-coordinated to the character or else it would seem awkward, and Wreck-It-Ralph did a good job in the casting of their actors.
"You don't need a medal to prove your worth"

A few criticisms though, there would be times that it would get a little boring and the world of the arcade is not much explored in the movie. Perhaps a sequel would improve this? It has the tendency to lean into the cliche moment but otherwise it's really good. I recommend everyone to watch this especially children. It would teach you that you don't need a medal to prove your worth. 

Watch Skyfall and Wreck-It-Ralph and share your thoughts about the movie below :)

Skyfall: 4/5

Wreck-It-Ralph: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment