Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My Top 5 Classic Films

I'm not only a fan of modern movies but the classics as well. I have watched a few and may I just say that classic films are still relevant. I have chosen 5 classic films that I personally liked and I highly recommend you guys to watch it. We all have our own taste and preferences  so I wouldn't be surprised if you guys have your own top 5 classic films. If you think that there are other classic films that should be included in the list, then feel free to comment it down below. As a matter of fact, comment down your own top 5 classic films and I'll try to watch most of them during the holidays. 

So here are my Top 5 Classic Films:


1. Vertigo (1958) directed by Alfred Hitchcock


John "Scottie" Ferguson is a retired San Francisco police detective who suffers from acrophobia and Madeleine is the lady who leads him to high places. A wealthy shipbuilder who is an acquaintance from college days approaches Scottie and ask him to follow his beautiful wife, Madeleine. He fears she is going insane, maybe even contemplating suicide, because she believes she is possessed by a dead ancestor. Scottie is skeptical, but agrees after he sees the beautiful Madeleine. Written by filmfactsman (IMDb)




2. Citizen Kane (1941) directed by Orson Welles


A group of reporters who are trying to decipher the last word ever spoke by Charles Foster Kane, the millionaire newspaper tycoon: "Rosebud." The film begins with a news reel detailing Kane's life for the masses, and then from there, we are shown flashbacks from Kane's life. As the reporters investigate further, the viewers see a display of a fascinating man's rise to fame, and how he eventually fell off the "top of the world". Written by Zack H. (IMDb)



3. Bicycle Thieves/Ladri di biciclette (1948) directed by Vittorio De Sica

A poor young father in postwar-ravaged Rome who finally finds work putting up Rita Hayworth posters around town, only to have his precious bicycle stolen the first day on the job. Written by alfiehitchie (IMDb)




note: this film is definitely one of the best in my opinion but it requires you to forget all about the technological advancements in films today in order to fully understand it. more of the story, less visuals.



4. Rear Window (1954) directed by Alfred Hitchcock


Professional photographer L.B. "Jeff" Jeffries breaks his leg while getting an action shot at an auto race. Confined to his New York apartment, he spends his time looking out of the rear window observing the neighbors. He begins to suspect that a man across the courtyard may have murdered his(the man) wife. Jeff enlists the help of his high society fashion-consultant girlfriend Lisa Freemont and his visiting nurse Stella to investigate. Written by Col Needham <col@imdb.com>





5. Psycho (1960) directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Phoenix office worker Marion Crane is fed up with the way life has treated her. She has to meet her lover Sam in lunch breaks and they cannot get married because Sam has to give most of his money away in alimony. One Friday, Marion is trusted to bank $40, 000 by her employer. Seeing he opportunity to take the money and start a new life, Marion leaves town and heads towards Sam's California store. Tired after the long drive and caught in a storm, she gets off the main highway and pulls into The Bates Motel. The motel is managed by a quiet young man called Norman who seems to be dominated by his mother. Written by Col Needham <col@imdb.com>




Personally, my favorite director is Alfred Hitchcock so I have three of his movies in the list but they are in the list for a reason, because they're awesome!!!

I hope you guys have the time to watch these films and I hope to hear from you your own top 5 classic films.

No comments:

Post a Comment