Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Host: "Agonizing"


Been a while since I blogged. Too long actually. I figured I'd do so since one of the film industry's brilliant minds has passed away, Roger Ebert. He's actually someone whose reviews I would often read to see if a film is worth watching. So this movie review is dedicated in his memory. Sadly, this movie is not worth anyone's remembrance.

Let me first share how reluctant I was in watching this film. But the thing about me is I always give movies the benefit of the doubt. I can only say it's good or bad only and only if I watched it myself. Soooo...

20 minutes into the film I wanted to walk out of the theater already. Yes it was that bad (in my opinion). Let me point out my complaints:

1. The novel to movie adaptation

The moment Melanie talked to herself, I was like "Wait, is this serious?" I haven't read the book, but the more I was watching the film, I was trying to see it as a novel. (to the point that I even googled it on my phone during the film) The taking-to-oneself MAY have worked for the novel but it does not work in the big screen. This is one book that should have never been made into a film in the first place.

2. Unrealistic

No, I'm not talking about the alien. I'm talking about those simple human actions and decisions that are so obviously scripted and would never happen in real life. Example, we have the alien-Melanie almost killed by some human guy and the next thing we know, she falls in love with him in the span of, I don't know, one or two days? Same goes for the human, as a matter of fact, he (human) even took the side of the alien against his own brother. Now some of you might be saying "It's fiction! Not a documentary". Well, if that's the way you think then maybe we can all just start making movies then.

3. Neither exciting or romantic

It was stale and boring. Maybe they wanted less action to focus on romance but the love story wasn't anything to be complimented either. I found it rather awkward.


It pains me writing this review so I'll stop here. What really irks me the most in this film is how unrealistic it is. Not to mention cliche. A "making-out-in-the-rain" flashback???? Really? It was silly. I felt like it was a comedy film but even as a comedy I probably wouldn't have laughed. I apologize to all the fans out there but I just didn't like it.

The moment alien-Melanie was given a new body, I walked out of the theater already. Figured it really didn't have anything else to give.

I actually like "The Host" (Gwoemul), a 2006 South Korean film, much better. 

Rating: .5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment